Saturday, December 19, 2009

Secret Window (2004)



Secret Window (2004) is a psychological thriller movie, starring Johnny Depp and John Turturro. It was written and directed by David Koepp, based on the novella Secret Window, Secret Garden by Stephen King.
I like Johny Depp since I saw "Edward the scissor hands". When I read about this movie in some blog, I wanted to watch this film because the movie is an adaptation of Stephen King's novel.  I have seen the other adaptations of Stephen King's novels like "The Shining", "Silver Bullet", "Shawshank Redemption", "The X Files", "1408", "The Mist" etc.  Like most of his work, this film is also of horror/mystery genre.  So I watched this movie yesterday and I really liked it.
Story: Johny Depp is a writer staying alone in a house in woods.  He is in the middle of divorce.  One day a strange man walks in and accuse Depp for plagiarism (stealing somebody's story) who then starts haunting him for "justice.".  Depp tries to prove that his story was the original but could not do it.  The stranger burns his house and kills couple of friends known to Depp and Depp soon fall into web of strange things.  Depp has also a mysterious past which haunts him once in a while.  Why the stranger is haunting him and what happens to Depp is nicely unfolded in the last 15 minutes with good horror touch. 
The background score is good and Depp's acting is as usual--splendid.  I felt that the director (David Koepp) did not use the locale that much.  Depp's house is surrounded by a superb riverside and forest but not used in this movie.  Most of the scenes happens inside his house only.  Anyway, I guessed the suspense correctly half-way may be because I have seen couple of similar films (The Fight Club, The American Psycho).  But the way the story was adapted to the screen version is nice. 

Trailer:

Posters:











No comments:

Post a Comment